We have officially moved over to Autumn, and Winter is fast approaching us. Taking inspiration from Austin Kleon’s newsletter, I thought I would share my top recommendations for spooky season watching. He recommends movies, but I will recommend my top movies and series.
My spooky season recommendations
- Nightmare Before Christmas is such a classic film. I love the atmosphere, the music and the characters. It’s such a great blend of Halloween and Christmas which often brings up the Halloween/Christmas debate (it’s both).
- Nightmare on Elm Street – I always loved this classic movie, and the remakes are actually okay as well.
- Child’s Play is another classic that has many off shoots and remakes to keep you occupied.
- Critters is probably not too well-known, but I loved these as a teen. I remember first being scared, but watching them as a grown up, I have realised they’re more comedy.
- Stranger Things is fast becoming a classic series. It’s gripping and has a fantastic storyline with incredible characters. It is an all-round great series.
- Get Out is a pleasently surprising movie. You’ll be confused, surprised and gripped by the storyline.
- The Black Phone was a little strange, and not the best horror movie. However, it had a unique story, and they tried to do something a little different. And that’s why it’s on this list.
- We are what we are is an incredible gothic thriller. I love everything about this movie, and I think anyone interested in spooky/eery movies should definitely check this out. I watched the American remake, and haven’t watch the Mexican original (maybe that’s something I should do).
- The Haunting of Hill House is a great series on Netflix. There is also another series called The Haunting of Bly Manor which is also great. I’ve put these two together because they are very similar, and made by the same company.
- Midnight Mass I love this as a modern day vampire series. I really had to think, and I feel it had many great turns.
What would you recommend for spooky season?
I’ve given my suggestions, and I’d love to see yours. Let me know in the comments below. I’d also love to know your thoughts on my recommendations and if you have any input on any of them.